Thank you for dropping by five brothers one sister, please stop for a browse.
Don't be shy if you enjoyed a post please leave a comment, join my followers list or follow by email.
I love hearing from anyone who visits.
God Bless,
Deanne

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

easy homemade granola

This granola is becoming a regular at our house. 

I will usually make it on one of my cooking days.
I start at night after the kids have finished cleaning the kitchen. 
I mix up a double batch in a large bowl and put it in my largest oven tray, in the middle of the oven, it takes about 1/2 hour for a normal batch, I cook it for about 45 minutes to 1 hour for a double batch, every 15 minutes I give it a bit of a turn. 
When it is done I turn the oven off add any nuts and coconut and mix them in and then leave it to cool in the oven overnight. 
The next morning I take it out break it all up and we serve it with Greek yoghurt and some seasonal fruit. 
To make the yoghurt palatable to the kids and me (I only started eating yoghurt about 2 years ago) I stir in a little rice malt syrup and some vanilla powder.

 
I store any leftovers in a glass jar for another breakfast- if the kids don't snack on it all first!
The original recipe comes from The Sweet Poison Quit Plan Cookbook
My improvements are in italics and I double this recipe.

 

Crunchy Granola
1/2C rice malt syrup
1/2 C olive oil (I often use coconut instead)
3 C rolled oats
1/2C sunflower seeds
1/2 C pepitas
1T ground cinnamon 
my additions
1/2 C macadamias
1/2 C walnuts
1/2 C coconut (dessicated, shredded or chips)
or anything else you like to throw in, goji berries are good too!

Pre-heat oven to 180C or 160C fan-forced
Put oil and syrup into a saucepan and heat over low heat for 2 minutes to warm through and mix together.
In a large bowl combine oats (you could use quinoa flakes or something else grain free if you prefer), seeds and cinnamon.
Combine liquid with dry ingredients and mix well.
Spread on a tray lined with baking paper.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden giving it a stir halfway through  
(I find it takes 1/2 hour in my oven for a batch this size, but I keep the temperature a little lower so it doesn't burn).
When cooked turn off oven and add nuts and extras and stir, leave to cool in oven, the residual heat will toast the nuts.
Serve with yoghurt, milk and fruit of choice.

Enjoy!

 Domesblissity

4 comments:

  1. Yum yum. I bet that tastes great. I am not a big cereal eater. Like you I struggle with yoghurt.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not either but I will eat this- not every day though! It is nice if you have fruit salad and a little yoghurt and a sprinkle of the granola for a bit of crunch.

      Delete
  2. I just love a good Granola and your recipe looks awesome! Hope you are having a great day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Deanne and make it often. A great way to use up nuts I've got in abundance. Thanks for linking up Deanne.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I always appreciate your kind words.