Thank you for dropping by five brothers one sister, please stop for a browse.
Don't be shy if you enjoyed a post please leave a comment, join my followers list or follow by email.
I love hearing from anyone who visits.
God Bless,
Deanne

Thursday, April 29, 2010

anzac biscuits


An Australian classic would have to be Anzac biscuits, named because they were sent overseas to our Anzacs in WWI. 
If memory serves me correctly they originated from a Scottish oat biscuit.
I usually only make them once a year around Anzac day. 
Each year I go in search of a recipe and then never remember the recipe I used the previous year and whether or not it was a good or bad recipe.
 This year I got my recipe from the NMAA red Cookbook and seeing as they turned out well I thought I would preserve it here. 
I doubled this recipe and also made part of the mix into a slice.


Anzacs
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 C SR flour
1/2 C plain flour
3/4 C coconut
3/4 C sugar (raw brown or white) - I used brown
1/2 t bi carb soda
2 T boiling water
125g melted butter
2 T golden syrup

Mix together first 5 ingredients. 
Dissolve soda in boiling water and add to melted butter and golden syrup. 
Add to dry ingredients and mix well.


Place teaspoonfuls on a greased tray (I put down baking paper).
Or press into a greased tray and cut into squares while still hot. 
Bake in a moderately slow oven 160C (325F) for 12-15 minutes.
Cool on tray for 5 minutes before putting on a cooling rack.


If you choose to do a slice you may like to drizzle or spread with melted chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I always appreciate your kind words.