Thank you for dropping by five brothers one sister, please stop for a browse.
Don't be shy if you enjoyed a post please leave a comment, join my followers list or follow by email.
I love hearing from anyone who visits.
God Bless,
Deanne

Sunday, August 2, 2009

tomato sauce


Whenever I can get tomatoes this cheap or cheaper or even free I make tomato sauce and tomato relish. We love it, last time I did this I made so many that I thought it would last us 6 months, I think it was lucky to last 6 weeks. It tastes so much nicer than store bought and is much more versatile, we use it on many more things than bought sauce.

Here is my recipe for tomato sauce: It comes from The Commonsense Cookery Book this was originally compiled by the NSW Public School Cookery Teachers Association. My mother had one when she went to school in the 1940's and my sister had one when she went to school in the 60's and mine is from the 80's. I am not sure they even publish them any more. I have had mine since I was about 15 and it has lost its cover and is falling apart. Every time I cook with it now I type the recipe onto the computer with any adjustments that I have made. My notes are in italics.

Tomato Sauce

Ingredients:
3kgs ripe tomatoes
250g apples
250g onions
2 cloves garlic
1 C sugar
2 T salt
1 Chilli
½ T cloves
½ T peppercorns
1 T curry powder
2 ½ C vinegar

Method
1. Wash tomatoes and cut up roughly.
2. Peel and slice apples and onions.
3. Cut up garlic finely
4. Place in saucepan; add all other ingredients.
5. Boil gently 2 hours.
6. Strain through a course strainer ( if you let it cool slightly and then put it in the food processor this makes this part easier and less messy, if you like it chunky pour straight into bottles, for a smooth product strain into a jug which makes it easier to pour into the bottles).
7. Bottle in warm jars and seal when cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I always appreciate your kind words.